Monday, July 11, 2011

100 Cupboards

100 Cupboards 100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Disclaimer: I mostly read this book after midnight on about 3 consecutive nights when I couldn't sleep, which may have affected how I feel about the book.

That being said, typically how long it takes me to read a book shows how well I liked it. This book took me 4 days. Typically, I finish a book in 2. Also, I'm not know for particularly enjoyed fantasy, so that can be taken into account, too. I tried really hard to like this book, and after reading the back actually believed it would be one of my favorites of the summer.

100 Cupboards is, indeed, the story of 100 cupboards, and a boy named Henry who finds himself living with his aunt and uncle in Kansas after his parents go missing. Life in Kansas is much different than what he's used to, and he has to adjust to having his three girl cousins around, too. He is staying in the attic of their house, and soon he notices something very odd about the wall. He peels off some of the plaster and discovers a cupboard. Before he knows it, he's revealed 99 cupboards. Each cupboard is a window into another world. However, when he finds the 100th cupboard, things turn bad quickly for Henry. His cousin gets lost in another world and he ventures around to find her, only to be followed home by other people. Finally his family sits him down and tells him about the cupboards, and that he should stay away from them. But, its too late, he's opened up another world for himself and his extended family.

The book has a good plot, but it gets very weird towards the end. It almost seemed rushed, which isn't necessary since this is part one in a trilogy, anyways. Definitely an odd one. I'm interested to see how it fairs with the kids this year!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment