Sunday, August 11, 2013

2,946

Two thousand, nine hundred and forty six.

Let that number soak in a little bit. Say it again.

That's how many books I weeded from the library this summer.

2,946.


And here's a little bit about why...



This book started being circulated in 1979...


Paddington was hard to part with, can't lie about that.


Look at those glasses. The Goats?


Some of the elementary fiction I said buh-bye to.









These holiday books couldn't be any older. I think the pilgrims wrote them themselves.


At some point, a librarian crossed out in permanent marker all of the lines in Red Riding Hood that were about wine. Seriously.



In case you were interested about current country music? Ugh.


Look at that camera. This book was copyrighted in the '80's.


I'm quite sure this is from the Ice Age.


This might just be my favorite. How can we telephone from inside a car?! 





I know that discarding so many books might bring me some heat, but if you look at those pictures, I think they justify the tossing. 

16 years is the average age of our elementary picture books.
11 years is the average age of our elementary chapter books. 

When was the last time you went to the library or book store to pick something up from 1997?

That's what I thought.

2,946.

And the best part is, this doesn't even include my HS non-fiction, almost all of which I want to part with. We'll save that for another post, though. 









No comments:

Post a Comment