Thursday, January 17, 2013

2nd Grade Non-Fiction: Index, Glossary, Contents

The 2nd graders have been practice using the table of contents, index and glossary in non-fiction books. So far, we've used the books in a series called "Animal Safari." These are good starter non-fiction books. I taped QR codes that were linked to "quizzes" about each book--3 comprehension questions and 2 each about contents, index and glossary. Students had to read first, then use the book to answer the questions. Overall, we did okay, but I think the verdict is that we still need more practice. I'm also wondering if using the iPads was distracting for some students, so we are going to try it on paper next week. Also, I think some of them just clicked answers in order to get finished--which will always happen, I guess.

Here are a couple of pictures of kids reading together and answering the questions:




And here are the results from one set of questions. I use Google forms, because the results are so easy to look at!






No comments:

Post a Comment