Thursday, January 17, 2013

Caldecott Journals

1st grade is currently doing a Caldecott unit. I wanted to have the students keep journals, but I hate the idea of printing out sheet after sheet of paper for the 15-20 books that we'll read. So, then I was going to use Keynote and have students create a new slide for each book, but there isn't a lot of room for creativity and drawing in that. So next, I decided to use Scribble Press. That is what I'm sticking with for now, those there are some pitfalls. I explained to the kids that this was going to require lots of patience until we got used to it. The first problem I found was that I couldn't get the text boxes to move after I added one. Also, the eraser erases all of the layers--even over photos. That was a problem because the kids add in a different journal form for each book as an image. So instead of erasing, we used a white marker to go over mistakes. First day was mostly successful, except no one got to the writing part. We rated and drew our favorite pictures. I love the rating system using stars like angry birds. I'm excited to see where this project goes.

I posted a picture of Juli's page for Kitten's First Full Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment