Thursday, January 17, 2013

6th Non-Fiction Text Structures

Sixth graders have been working on recognizing text structures of non-fiction writing--description, sequence/order, compare/contrast, problem/solution, and cause/effect. I gave them this chart, and these paragraphs that I found online, and after determining which text structure it was, they had to create the appropriate graphic organizer. We used "smart art" in Microsoft Word--yes, I had students complete something in Word (we always use Google). I had to finally figure out how to open Word on my laptop! Also, the "smart art" didn't have exact options for a couple of the graphic organizers, but we improvised.

I'm trying to focus on non-fiction more, since it is a huge aspect of Common Core and I feel like our kids lack the skills/desire to read non-fiction. Ideas welcomed :)

Here are a couple:






No comments:

Post a Comment