Thursday, August 11, 2011

Princesses, Pink and a Story About Me

Not All Princesses Dress in PinkNot All Princesses Dress in Pink by Jane Yolen

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I like this book because it shows how girls can do a wide variety of things without being "too girly" by wearing pink. As a girl who loves pink, but despises most things girly (I'd take my mesh shorts and cut-off t-shirt over a dress any day), I enjoyed the concept of this book. The girls play sports, use power tools, ride bikes, plant gardens and more, all while wearing their shiny crowns.

This book was a nice break from all the princess tales that the girls love. However, it did lack a story, it just showed girls doing different activities. And, I don't know how I feel about PINK being the root of all girly things. Like I said, I love pink, but am not a girly-girl by any means. Hopefully some girls at school will read this, and realize that being a "princess" can mean they can still get dirty and do things they love!


(Note: I love punk rock pink, not pansy pink. And no, punk rock pink has nothing to do with liking punk rock music, because clearly, I don't. Confused yet?)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment