Saturday, April 6, 2013

First Week of Poetry

April is National Poetry Month, and poetry is one of my favorite things! We started out the month by reading poems from several different authors. I meet with each class twice per week, so the first day we do poetry reading and this week we wrote acrostic name poems the second day. Acrostics are a fun way to start and they are a bit easier for young students. Kids in 1st-3rd grades wrote acrostic name poems. I was at a conference the day the 2nd & 3rd graders wrote theirs, so I haven't uploaded their PDF's yet, but here is what the first graders came up with. They wrote about things they like to do, or if they couldn't think of anything, they just picked a words they liked. We also practiced using dictionaries to look up words for letters they got stuck on. Lots of them are really cute, and I love their inventive spellings. Click here to see all the pages--it only lets me embed the first 15.



The fourth graders started our poetry unit reading "Love That Dog" by Sharon Creech. They weren't too excited about poetry, but once I started reading, they begged me to keep going when class was over! On Friday, I gave them time to explore an app called Poetry Magnets on their iPads. I wish that we had the Word Mover app or the Poetry Creator app, but we didn't. Honestly, I love poetry magnets, but it does have a few "bad words" in it. I showed the students where to navigate to in order to avoid the naughty words, but I just wish those weren't in there! There is a zombie words category, though, which the students loved. Many of the poems below are zombie-inspired.




Lots more poetry to come in the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment