Friday, April 19, 2013

Poetry Raps

One of the reasons that I love April is because it is National Poetry Month. I have always had a soft spot for poems--I enjoy reading them, writing them, singing them, and now rapping them. If anyone still believes a school library should be a quiet place, they would hate visiting me.

I try to help children love poetry by doing fun activities with poems. In 3rd and 4th grade the last two weeks we've been reading and rehearsing favorite poems from Shel Silverstein, Jeff Moss, Alan Katz, Jack Prelutsky, Laura Purdie Salas and others. Students looked through lots of poems and selected their favorite. The only requirement was that they needed to find a poem that had a rhythm and rhyme to it.

After choosing a poem, we practiced reading the poem over and over to increase fluency and be able to read it faster. We used GarageBand to create a drum track. Then we recorded the poem to the beat of the drums. The students had a really great time creating these, and many of them even memorized their poem. I thought the final products turned out well.

Here are the playlists for the two 3rd grade classes:








One of the 4th grade classes is still finishing up, so I will post those next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment